Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mary Was Late, Guess It Was Fate

Mary and Max the movie somehow pointed many similarities in my life. For one, I had a penpal and still kept in contact for over 10 years. All this while, we exchanged countless postcards, small gifts and even chocolates like what happened in the movie. One other minor similarity was the fact we kind of lost touch for quite a period of time.

Other than that, the story itself relates very much to my life or maybe to many others too. Sometimes messy. Sometimes heartwarming perhaps? Sometimes heavily depressed. Till feeling like taking our own lives. Or just having plain crazy thoughts.

Messy – it doesn’t matter how well off or happy I can be, but there are things I do feel I did drastically wrong in the past. Well, who doesn’t?. All these that add together feels like one big mess. But I always tell myself - no regrets and carry on with life.

Heartwarming – there are many things to describe this feeling. However, I feel that nothing can be more heartwarming than being appreciated by somebody else whom you equally appreciate. Letter correspondence itself is a very heartwarming thing. Getting a pen pal’s letter at the end of a hard day’s work feels as nice as (if not better than) taking coffee at the start of the day.

Depression – perhaps guys and girls have their fair share of depression bouts sometime in their lifetime. I do, even had suicidal thoughts before, even recently. There are times when life seems no meaning to carry on. So why live on?

Fanatical thinking – this can mean many things to me. Like being lame, having strange or even dirty thoughts etc. I guess everyone goes through this same phase as well. Those weird people out there just stay in this phase forever. A stuck cupid is called stupid. Confuzzled? Ok, I'm still weird.

Nevertheless, the movie was somewhat a fresh breath from conventional movies nowadays which mostly do not have much storyline to relate. What’s more, a claymation with heavy adult themes can be quite rare. I never expected Mary to meet Max, but even less expected, was the ending. Bittersweet?

No comments:

Words

I still can't believe how powerful words can be. And I mean positive ones.