These are 3 significant events happening to me in the space of 3 days. Ironically, this wedded man will be spending these days alone as the wife is back with her family for CNY. And because it’s CNY period, there’s probably no way to rent a lover for V-day.
Ok seriously, I have almost left out something else to remember – my work life (or the lack of life)! It’s been 5 years… and 13 days and counting. Of course, working life is nothing worth to remember but it’s not a date that’s easy to forget – 1 Feb, 2005. As to why it was a memorable start for me was because February is a short month coupled with the CNY holidays. About 16 working days or so in that month.
I started as an electrical engineer at a SME doing mobile phones design. It’s a long story on how I managed to get the job.
It started like this. A secondary school classmate who was working as a teacher in a student care centre badly needed caretaker teachers to tide over the shortage of teachers during the year end period of 2004 when many incumbents take leave.
As I was still looking for a job for already 4 months after graduation then, she called me and asked if I was interested to earn some allowances in the meantime. A job that may earn just a measly $6 an hour but it was hard to reject the offer as I could read papers and play football with kids.

Every evening, parents will arrive to fetch their children. One particular parent noticed a new face in me and asked her kid about the new ‘teacher’. I presume it was natural asking as male student care teachers are rather rare. It so happened that this parent was working as a manager in a mobile design company looking for engineers.
Not long after I sent my resume to this manager, I was called up for an interview which was rather forgettable. Being my first ever interview (read; interrogation), I felt nervy and fumbled on many questions. The only redeeming answer was that I could literally spell out the company’s background and functions like a wizard when asked.
About 2 weeks later, I got a surprise call that I was given this job offer. And the rest is history.
I have worked for more than half a decade, neither a long nor a short period of time. I wonder how much longer I need to go. I want to stop working and enjoy life. Like now.
No comments:
Post a Comment