Sunday, May 4, 2008

An Eventful Wedding

You know the wedding will be rather ‘eventful’ when it started like this…

[Solemnizer] Welcome to the sodomization ceremony of…
It wasn’t exactly poor pronunciation coming from the sodomizer, I mean solemnizer but rather all thanks to the substandard speakers above our heads.

I was at the Club Chinois Restaurant in Orchard Parade Hotel and for those who ever been there, wedding event or not, would somehow notice a VIP room situated in the corner amongst the 20-odd tables outside in the common area.

I was lucky enough to be assigned to sit in that special room along with my fellow part-time comrades. We were such buddies that we all ganged up and chided the groom, asking why the hell he isolated us. Just joking of course.

Then, as with all Chinese weddings, we have this yam seng thing where the bride and groom, along with their families on stage appeal to all the guests to stand up and shout a long celebratory toast, usually lasting for 30 seconds or more per toast.

Being in an enclosed area, we couldn’t exactly hear whether the yelling outside has died down as we are literally drowned by our own echoes. It was only until everyone outside started looking at us, giving the you-can-stoppit-now look.

Photobucket
Yes, there's the groom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe great that you're back!! :)

Jayaxe said...

Thanks! And I thought it's just going to be me and cobwebs hanging around here!

Words

I still can't believe how powerful words can be. And I mean positive ones.